Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Rick Perlstein wakes up to the racist reactionary proto-fascist foundation of the American Right:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/11/magazine/i-thought-i-understood-the-american-right-trump-proved-me-wrong.html?_r=0

Better late than never. To be fair, while I was always aware of that foundation, Obama's two elections briefly convinced me that the Left was correct that it was economic populism and not racism/sexism/bigotry that was the new driver of national discontent, but unlike Bernie and his bots, Trump's campaign very quickly convinced me to go back to my original view of the GOP as the latest avatar of hate and ignorance going back to the Know-Nothings, the CSA, the Klan, the fans of Mac the Knife and the communist witch hunts, and the Dixiecrats.

There are some  Trump voters who are more stupid than evil, but by and large, the Right represents the dark forces of the anti-Enlightenment.

No comments:

Post a Comment